Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More Theories

Idol According to Me Cont'd

Season 2 - The "Busy Signal" Theory

So, here's my controversial theory on the Season 2 final - Clay actually won. The Idol powers that be were not prepared for millions of people voting in a close race. They simply didn't have enough phone lines. A "friend" of mine tried to vote for Clay on and off for a number of hours (no, it wasn't me - why do you think it was me?) and never once got through. I don't think either one is all that great (I told you - it wasn't me!), but Clay is clearly the stronger singer with the bigger fan base. Album sales only a few short months later bore this out. If Fox had ponied up for a few more phone lines, they could have monitored a fair race. They didn't, and my guess is it was a coin toss as to which one was lucky enough to have more calls get through. That season, however, set a future Idol precedent - forget who actually takes the crown on finale night, when it comes to Idol and everything else in a capitalist society, the marketplace has the last say. Clay took it in a landslide (for the last time - NOT ME!)

P.S. Ok. It was me. I got all enamored with his "Bridge Over Troubled Water" but I have never bought an album, have no songs on my ipod and in retrospect, think the guy is kind of a schmuck.

No comments: