Thursday, August 2, 2007

9th Ring of Hell - the BOR Version - Final

As Rachael drives because I need to go back to concentrating more intently on my drooling, I espouse my 2 key theories as to how Rachael could possibly have been overlooked by these idiot judges.

1) This is an open casting call for a reality show. It’s not a singing contest, as Simon et al like to say again and again, it’s a reality show. The producers are looking for certain types, certain roles to fill. There is enough of a talent pool that they can find singers, so they are more concerned with types. Rach said they took one look at them and had basically dismissed them before they even started singing. That’s because no one in her group fit any of the roles they’re looking to fill. She also said producers were pacing back and forth behind the booths, scanning the crowds. They’re there to catch anyone the booth people might accidentally overlook. They weren’t listening, though, just looking.

2) Ok, this one is a little more controversial. I may be wrong here, but I believe there are people who skip the first cattle-call part of the auditions and go straight to Simon, Paula and Randy. A very good friend of mine, who shall go un-named, tried out for a very famous reality show that I will also not name for legal reasons (but it rhymes with ‘schmapprentice”). She was sent there by her agents and told that she was actually being considered as were the other people submitted this way. The thousands who went through the public process were basically ignored as this was mostly a publicity stunt to drum up business for the show. I think Idol does the same thing. No one ever asked Rachael her story. How does Idol get all these great stories if they’re not out in the crowd looking for them? It’s just a coincidence that a guy who missed his baby’s birth to audition ends up in the top ten? Ditto the daughter of a famous football player? I think the producers find themselves a number of people through various means and let in a very small percentage from the actual cattle calls. Those are mainly for finding the freaks.

My first theory is almost definitely fact, my second is probably so. No matter what, I don’t know what these crazy people were looking for. Here’s what I’m certain of – they’re definitely missing out by passing on our Rachael.

Frozen yogurt, sleeping on the couch, excellent delivery and cable tv followed. As we take some time to figure out our next course of action in Operation Make Rachael Famous, I have one important thing to say – Rach, I want that makeup.

No comments: